According to the Multiple Intelligences Test, my greatest strengths were musical, spatial/visual, logical/math, and intrapersonal, in descending order. My greatest strength, by far is musical. But I don't think of myself as having extraordinary musical talent, I just think of myself as an auditory learner. My husband, in fact, has often commented on my talent of picking out actors' and actresses' voices in commercials without seeing who they are. I have really benefited from instructors that have used you-tube and other movie-like clips in my classes. That way, I can listen to information. I found a clip on you-tube that also fits into my current area of practice (maternity nursing): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6gU_V7zfrk . Even though the song might seem silly, it actually has a lot of good, factual information in it. Pretty clever, I thought. The other thing I thought about regarding music, was my brother had a friend that was trying to create songs about anatomy and putting them on cd's. I don't know if he ever succeeded, but I thought it was a great idea. How many of us have words to songs memorized? Imagine how easy it would be to memorize the components of the digestive tract, say, if it were to a familiar tune.
My other strengths were spatial/visual and logical/math. The spatial/visual also fits into my preference for video clips. I'm not only getting auditory stimulation, but also visual. Visual images tend to stick in my mind. Due to the logical/math in me, I've also liked games and puzzles my entire life. My grandma brags about how I could put jigsaw puzzles together at age two. I always loved learning in elementary school, because everything was always a game. I taught a class this last week and I included a crossword puzzle of review terms in my handouts. I don't know if this would necessarily be included in the logical department, and I don't know if other students will appreciate it, but as a student, I know I would appreciate a list of review terms that were made into a game.
Lastly, intrapersonal came in at 30 and interpersonal came in at 29. I attribute this to my feeling, emotional nature, according to the Myers-Briggs test. I am pretty aware of how I'm feeling and I realize I can be overly-sensitive to criticism (even constructive). I tend to do better with instructors that aren't overly critical and that come across as an actual person. The clip for this module showing the college students holding up signs was really effective for me because not only did it show interesting facts, but it also had an emotional aspect to it. I also enjoy the social aspect of learning. Online classes definitely have advantages, but I find myself feeling like I'm missing something without the face to face contact with the other students.
I Couldn't Resist
11 years ago
I'm glad to see this was a good exercise for you, and thanks for sharing the youtube clip! How fun is that? Well done.
ReplyDelete