Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Module 5

It seems we are bordering on the edge of sci-fi with some of these issues. And it also seems the availability of health information is a double-edged sword. I can definitely see how beneficial a national system, or even international as was brought up by Diane Rehm's guests on her show, would be. It would truly improve continuity of care and make a lot of things about patient care safer and more efficient, as in the knowing of allergies and current medications being taken. However, if we are to go to a national system, we will truly have to end the whole idea and usage of insurance. I honestly cannot see how peoples' sensitive information could be safe when it is exposed to so many systems, virtually globally. Even with HIPPA laws, I think people will find it harder and harder to get insurance because their health history, family history and possibly even genetic testing will follow them where ever they go.

I understand that there are people and organizations that are very concerned with this issue and constantly trying to fight to keep information secure, but I just think all the firewalls in the world will have a tough time protecting all of that exposed information, especially if it goes global. I really don't consider myself to be paranoid, and maybe my skepticism comes from my ignorance of technological advances, but I just think we can't see all the negative ramifications of creating a national healthcare information system.

As I was reading Hebda and Czar about the issues of information ownership, it seemed silly to me that that was even an issue. To me, it seems the client should be the owner of their own information. As I read on, I really liked the idea of a smart-card that holds all of a person's health information on it and could simply be scanned at any health care facility. That way healthcare personnel can have access to the information they need, but the facility doesn't have to store it. This way, information is truly given on a need-to-know basis. For example, my children each have an immunization card that has handwritten information on it. So why can't we take this one step further and make it digital? It could even be something as easy as a thumb drive. Starting from when you are born, a health information log is started, and whenever you go to a healthcare provider, they scan your information in order to treat you as safely and thoroughly as possible, and then any changes made can be downoaded to the card or drive, or whatever.

It seemed to me the two main issues shared by our module readings and the AHRQ website were patient safety and information sharing. The patient safety issues seem to center around medications and physician orders. We use barcoding to administer patient medications at the hospital where I work, and I quite like it. We don't, however, use a computerized provider order entry, and I wish we did. I can't think of any disasters off the top of my head that involved the misinterpretation of orders, but digitizing orders seems so much safer and more consistent.

Information sharing is a huge issue where I work. I know they do HIPPA training every year and take it very seriously. We are encouraged to do things that are mentioned in our readings such as not share passwords, log out after we are done charting and never download anything. However, I can relate to one of the issues brought up by Hebda and Czar, and that is the frequent changing of passwords and that every system has a different password. I realize it is necessary for increased security, but it is logistically difficult. I counted in my head, and I use 7 different systems that all require different passwords where I work. I have to write them down on a little cheat sheet that's taped to my badge. I don't think they are easily accessible, but I'm sure it's not ideal. But there's no way that I can remember all of my passwords, especially since they are all different and require changing at different times.

I'm not sure if our hospital privacy officer is a nurse, but the readings opened my eyes to another job possibility for nurses informaticists. A hospital would be very smart to hire an ADRN nurse informaticist because they have the nursing and technology backgrounds necessary for such a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment